Thursday, October 06, 2005

Funnel cakes and Rob Zombie, so little in common and yet so much.

October is here and the annual Oktoberfest starts tomorrow in the small hamlet of Hartford, Ky. The Oktoberfest is…well, I’m not exactly sure what it is or what is supposed to be celebrated. In fact, from every Oktoberfest I have ever seen, alcohol, especially beer, is a huge part of the festival. This is odd because Ohio County is a dry county. No beer gardens for our Oktoberfest which may be the reason we do not exactly pull in anyone outside of Hartford. As far as I can see, it is a place for people to set up make shift selling areas and sell their homemade IPod cozies or knock off Git-Er-Dun magnetic ribbons. I have no use for those things and I have no use for the Oktoberfest, well, except for one thing. FUNNEL CAKES!!!

Funnel cakes rule and they are always at the Oktoberfest. Actually, carnival food as a whole pretty much rules. As long as it can be deep fried in melt your face oil, it is good. I am looking so forward to getting my hands on my first funnel cake of the year. For those of you who don’t know what a funnel cake it, it is basically pancake dough deep fried and then covered in powdered sugar. Doesn’t that just harden your arteries thinking about it?

Once I get that funnel cake inside me it will truly be fall. Fall, even though it is still 80+ degrees outside. It is time to be thinking of what Halloween movies you are going to watch and I’ve got a few. It's time to enjoy the changing and falling of the leaves. It is time to enjoy the fall smells like corn being shelled or beans being threshed.

For a music lover like me, it is time to put fall music into a heavy rotation. Here is a sampler of the music you should play during the fall. Anything by the Queens of the Stone Age, Alice in Chains, Rob Zombie(especially during Halloween time), Alice Cooper(see Rob Zombie), Black Sabbath and just any music that seems to speak to you during this time. I am getting into the blues lately; Howlin’ Wolf seems to be a good pick.

Whatever your fall traditions, it is time to get it under way. I know mine will start tomorrow with a big ol’ funnel cake and maybe deep fried Twinkies and maybe deep fired Oreos and perhaps a deep fried pumpkin.

No comments: