Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Rockstar:Supernova Recap

I'm shocked, SHOCKED that piccu hasn't posted his rundown of last night's show. I'll make a feeble attempt at recapping what I saw. But I was partially detained by domestic duties.

Too many "rockers" confused "stripped down/acoustic" with "comotose." People, just because there are no electric guitars doesn't mean that it's slowed to a snail's pace and sang like your in pain.

Zayra opened up with a song she had written in Spanish. She's a lot easier to take en Espanol than en Englais. But she still isn't that good. I'm surprised she's still around.

Magni did a great job covering David Bowie's Starman. I wasn't familiar with that song, but it's a great tune. I thought that was probably the best performance of the night in my opinion. Supernova disagreed, but more on that later.

Patrice was the worst of the night. And that's a bad thing on this night. Singing "Message in a Bottle" (an odd song choice for an acoustic number) she was boring. As she usually is. She tried to amp it up a bit at the end, but by then she was toast.

Lukas (Ud0, aka THE LEPERACHAUN) sang "Hero" from Spiderman 2. He was ok, but it sounded quite a bit like the original. His voice is coverband great. Meaning if I heard him at a rock club, I'd dig him. But on his own, notsomuch. And he looks like a freak.

Storm Large took my favorite disco song, "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor and turned it into "I'd Rather Die." Not literally. She also decided the song would "rock" more if she changed the lyrics and added the a-crookedletter-crookedletter word a couple times. It didn't help in the least. She was flat, boring, slow, and altogether rotten. Thank God for Patrice, or Storm would have been the worst of the night.

Toby sang "Salisbury Hill" by Peter Gabriel. If you're like me, you thought you'd never heard of that song. But when it started I remembered, it's the "Boom, boom, boom" song. Great song and Toby did pretty well with it. I didn't think he was the best, but he got to rock with Gilby who is probably the most level headed rocker I've ever heard. Newsted is a close second. T-Lee is a douchebag.

Ryan Starr sang "In the Air Tonight" and it quickly became one of the most uncomfortable performances I've watched outside of Zayra. The band liked him, I thought it was awful. He turns every song into a painful song full of angst. Well, a Phil Collins song doesn't survive that treatment.

Finally everyone's favorite Dilana. She sang the Harry Chapin classic, "Cats in the Cradle." She's good, but she still doesn't blow me away. I was slightly disturbed that she didn't alter the lyrics to fit her gender. But I guess that would be a bit much to do. SN thought it was the best of the night, but then they thought Ryan was the second best. I'd say she was a close second, maybe a 1A to Magni.

1 comment:

Piccu said...

Some of us didn't get out of bed until 11:30 and had to have lunch before he tackled RockStar. I think we actually saw eye to eye on this week's show. It was not great.

As for not changing the gender in Cat's in the Cradle I thought it was alright. The White Stripes do a killer version of the Dolly Parton classic Jolene and Jack White doesn't change the gender to fit a male.