Thursday, August 03, 2006

Just when I think I'm out...

For a very long time I've pretty much given up on video games. And this is a big deal. I've played video games for as long as I can remember. I vividly remember getting a Nintendo Entertainment System for Christmas with Kung Fu Master. Pretty much the only reason we got it was because Kung Fu Master was a game available to play on the thing and because we loved the arcade version. Little did we know that Super Mario Brothers would take over our lives.

Fast forward to yesterday. I hadn't played my Playstation 2 since the first day of Lent when I gave up the PS2. That was months ago. I can't say that I missed them, but I've just not felt the urge to play.

Then yesterday Piccu, myself and The Don decided to take off early and go see a Miami Vice matinee. Piccu and I made it to the theater about 30 minutes early and decided to hit the new Best Buy so I could pick up a Sandisk 512MB Cruzer jump drive for 15 bucks on sale.

It took me a couple of minutes to track down the tiny Cruzer and when I finally did, Piccu looked around the aisle and saw a PS2 hooked up for a demo. Piccu walked over and noticed that the demo was of a little game called Guitar Hero.

He started playing this thing, and getting his butt whipped on the easy level, and he was instantly hooked. So it was ours.

We take it home and from about 5 p.m. until 11:30 we played only to stop and watch the performances on Rockstar: Supernova. My left hand hurts and the ends of my fingers are tingling and glowing red.

I won't get into specifics, but the game comes with a little childlike Gibson SG style guitar with five large colored buttons on the neck, a whammy bar and picking toggle switch thing for strumming the notes.

Then you play the lead guitar on songs with the thing. Sounds stupid, but if you like rock music you need to stay away from it. It will consume your life. I worked my way all the way through the levels of songs to the last level and I'm one song away from finishing the medium setting. However, Ozzy Osbourne's "Bark at the Moon" is whippin' my @$$.

For those of you who don't know, Ozzy's lead guitarist at the time was a formally trained classical guitarist and if it wasn't for "landing" his plane on Ozzy's tour bus, might still be alive today and be the greatest guitarist that ever was.

If you think I'm kidding, go get Guitar Hero and find out, but I must warn you. It's electronic crack.

2 comments:

Piccu said...

My hand is just a gnarled claw today after playing that thing. I will never be able to get to the level Bratch is at, at least I don't think so, but I can whip his a** when it comes to playing Ziggy Stardust.

Who would have thought this stupid thing would be so addictive, but I was hooked as soon as I played it. I have just been reading about Guitar Hero 2 in which there will be 55 songs to play. The makers were quoted as going for Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, and AC/DC. If that is the case then I can't wait.

I have also been exploring the option of buying another "axe" so that Bratch and I can access the multiplayer mode and rock out with the twin guitar attack of Thin Lizzy or Blue Oyster Cult.

That is if my fretting hand ever recovers.

BRATCH said...

Good news update.

I finally finished Bark at the Moon. It wasn't by best show, but I did get $5,000 for it so I bought some new guitars including my sweet custom Gibson Explorer that I'm really proud of.

Of course, the Gibson Firebird is my favorite though. I love you Explorer.