Thursday, September 21, 2006

Put the TV Down!!


(Began as a reply to Piccu’s Crap on TV post, but got too long.)

At some point in your remote control flipping from one piece of junk to another, do you ever stop to think, "I've got better things to do."

I have reached that conclusion often lately. Sitting around after my son has but put to bed, flipping from one channel to another looking for something to catch my interest. I've turned it off a couple times to read. I need to do that more often.

Maybe stop and play a game. I don't know. It just seems like we've been so enveloped by television that we'll literally watch anything just to avoid doing anything else. As if there are no alternatives.

Here is my list of other things to do:
Read a book. I know many of us haven’t read a book since senior English class in high school or English Lit in college. But books are actually enjoyable. Much more so when you’re not studying them for an exam. A short list of authors I recommend includes Silas House, Larry Brown, and Mitch Albom.
Play a board/card game. This one requires another living soul, so you might have to crowbar someone else off their couch. But it’s worth the effort. Play something that allows for some good conversation and laughs if possible. A short list of games I recommend includes Scategories, Scrabble, Spades, & Trivial Pursuit.
Cook. Yep, I said it. Cook. Cook something you wouldn’t normally. Give it a try. I know Piccu is a famous grill man, so he can relate here.
Get a hobby. Ok, some people have hobbies, others have obsessions. Try not to get an obsession. Then you’re just freeing your mind of one trap and putting it into another. Some hobbies I and friends have are: running, guitar and video games (no problem for piccu and bratch there.)

If you’re like me, you’re just tired of surrendering your time and mind to the television to literally kill time. Why kill time? What did it do to you?

2 comments:

Piccu said...

I am actually reading three books at this time, not to mention my huge catalog of magazines that includes reading at least one a day. You think TV is a problem, I have some who think magazines are a problem. I am an obsessive addict when it comes to pop culture.

I rarely watch TV live, though. I usually read and listen to music until 8 or 9 and then I watch the TV. That is why the DVR is one of my best friends. If you cut out commercials, you can watch an hour show in 44 minutes.

I agree TV has got a hold on us and it is not a good thing to spend all your free time on it, at least on crap like Two and a Half Men and According to Jim type shows. I just enjoy a good TV show. Also, I have to keep up with my craft, acting. I never know when I will be called to guest star on Veronica Mars or CSI, I have to be ready.

Travis said...

Bully for you then. I don't have that much time in my day. I didn't have that much time in my day before I had a son.

Don't I at least get credit for that picture? That's great.