Tuesday, January 03, 2006

John Lennon's Imagine is Britain's favorite song.

In a radio poll in England in which 7000 listeners placed a vote, John Lennon’s Imagine was voted Britain’s favorite song. The Brits always seem to be doing some kind of poll like this. Every year there is a new favorite song or favorite movie. When I heard this I started to think about what my favorite song is. I admit that I have never thought about this before because you never ask the question, “If you were stuck on a desert island and could only listen to one song forever what would it be?” I then began to think about my favorite song of all time. To start with, there must be some parameters. I can’t just pick something out of the air. A few guidelines must be followed.

First, I think the song should be by an established artist or band. If you check the link, you will see that Britain’s 10th favorite song of all time is You’re Beautiful by James Blunt. James who? I would normally think that with a name like Blunt it must be a rapper, but I saw Mr. Blunt on SNL a few weeks ago. He does not belong on the countdown. Not only must the song have been a relative hit, but the artist needs to be someone you could pick out of a lineup or they must have another song or two that you know, this isn’t favorite one hit wonder of all time.

A second condition must be that 3 out of 5 people walking down the street must have heard this song. Your favorite song can’t be Pawnshop Guitars by Gilby Clarke, no one has that CD or heard that song, except me. This isn’t a condition, but I don’t think that my favorite song is going to be a “slow” song. Imagine is a beautiful song, but I do not believe it could be a country’s favorite song. Some may love it and it may be their favorite, but a group of 7000 should not pick that song. I am assuming they were pressured into it. I “imagine” that the DJs kept reminding the callers what song was in the lead. I must say that I can see Hey Jude as a favorite song and it is slow, so my whole line of thinking may be flawed, but these are just my opinions.

What is my favorite song? I thought about this. I am a rocker so I automatically think Stairway to Heaven, but that is a great song, but I can think of other Zeppelin songs that I like better, Black Dog, Ten Years Gone, and Babe I’m Gonna Leave You being three of those songs. I love Back and Black by ACDC, Master of Puppets by Metallica, That’s All by Genesis, Kiss by Prince, Let's Stay Together by Al Green, Eastbound and Down by Jerry Reed, just to name a few. One song kept popping into my head and that was Won’t Get Fooled Again by the Who. Not only is that a great song, it contains the greatest rock ‘n’ roll scream of all time. It has loud guitars, a quiet breakdown in the middle and it finishes with raw power until the end. By the way, the end of the song is probably the best ending to a song of all time. You have best scream and best ending and geniuses at work. That is my favorite song of all time.

2 comments:

BRATCH said...

Are you sure that your favorite song isn't Hot and Nasty by Black Oak Arkansas?

Piccu said...

It is definitely in the top ten. Who doesn't like Hot and Nasty?