Wednesday, January 11, 2006

And Now for the Important News for the Day

Good Morning All,

I haven't blogged in a while, as I am suffering from a slight case of writer's block at the present time (no, that's not the important news for the day). However, I've decided to simply write about what I am thinking presently and forget about trying to give a profound opinion on anything important.
Because I am currently in a career crisis, I basically have to go to bed most nights not knowing if I will get a call requesting me to work that day or if it will be another penniless day at home. Because I am substitute teaching while waiting on a more permanent position to open in the fall (God willing), I have decided that it is best to get up and be ready to leave the house by 6:30 a.m. just in case the call comes in. By 7:00 a.m. it was painfully obvious that I would have today to catch up some slightly neglected areas of daily living (phone calls, errans, emails, bills, etc.). However, because everyone, including the bloggers of this fine Blog Spot, seem to much more educated on current events than myself (probably because I avoid all things news---I know, I know, it's a crime for a functional adult member of our society to intentionally remain ignorant of the world around them), I decided I would skip the "Who's the Boss?" rerun selection on my home satellite guide and opt for "Good Morning America". Surely I could at least get the highlights of what's currently going on in our great country by watching this show--I mean, the name alone suggests it, right? Wrong!!!!
Let me just give you the highlights: the average American consumes ten pounds of cereal (yes, the breakfast food) in a year--and some great recipes using cereal were generously supplied; morning grogginess clouds the mind, thus creating dangers for those it effects; EPA mileage stickers (now you better sit down for this) may be misleading, by generally displaying a higher number of miles per gallon than what is truly accurate; a woman's husband bravely calls 911 after he over hears her getting robbed at work (and the shocking footage of this crime); Angelina Jolee and Brad Pit are having a baby ('cause no one suspected this); baby boomers are retiring and the husbands are driving the wives crazy, thus creating the "Retired Husband's Syndrome", which in turn could cause a 50% increase in the divorce rate, but don't worry-they gave plenty of suggestions on how to battle this particular epidemic in your own home. Are you bored with this yet-because if you think you've wasted your time reading this, be glad that you've only spent about one minute reading it, and my stupid a** spent ONE HOUR watching this crap! Oh yeah, they did have about a three minute segment on some man who set through "a grueling interview" to become either a justice or judge of some important government position (I am sure that I should know all about this, but guess what--it wasn't any more interesting to me at 7:00 am this morning than it has been all my life).
Now, before you all go silently criticizing my choice of programs to begin educating myself on world (or at least national) news, just know that I must take baby steps! The very idea of CNN makes me cringe, and I have no desire to torcher myself for an hour that would seem like an eternity. So please don't make that suggestion when I pose the "big question" a bit later. I know that, as a functional member of society, and a teacher at that (if you can call me that without a full-time job), I should stay up-to-date on the goings on in the world. And it was only recently, when I heard about the "mining tragedy" only AFTER it was over, that I realized just how much of a shell that I live in. But when I decided to begin rectifying my ignorant existence, I am met with useless information that only serves to take up valuable space in my brain---AHHHHH!! WHAT SHOULD I DO!!!????!!!
My problem is: I'd rather be reading a book, listening to an audio-book, or even writing a book than watching the evil tube or playing on the internet. I've found that I don't have a routine enough schedule to waste non-existent money on a newspaper, so I remain ignorant!
Here's what I am looking for: a source of information that will keep me well posted, in plain English, on current events around the nation and the world as a whole. I don't want to spend a lot of time on it, so I certainly am not interested in watching or reading other people's opinions on these events; just the facts--then, after I've formed my own opinion, and if I'm interested enough to care about the opinion of others, I will explore the subject further--otherwise, I just want to be kept up to date so that I don't have to sit ignorantly through boring conversations covering subjects on which I have no knowledge, interest or opinion. HELP ME!
Can anyone give me a source as I've just described or am I just up that proverbial creek without a paddle?
Now, I must shut off this useless waste of electricity (the television, not the PC) and do something constructive.
Thanks for any help you can provide,
Lady Bird
(I know there are quite a few of spelling mistakes that I am sure you will kindly overlook--thanks)

1 comment:

BRATCH said...

You'll never get just the facts. Anyone can write just the facts, but a staff writer's by-line doesn't bring in the big bucks. You only get just the facts from local 6 o'clock news because they don't want to offend anyone. CNN, Fox, etc., they can afford to have a moron on there to offend people as long as they have another moron with a differing opinion to offend everyone else.

I get my news from Yahoo. They break everything down into different sections and the top 5 stories are right there for you to look at. Then if you look at a story, it will have different stories about that subject and some opinion columns about it as well from different news sources.