Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Did God forsake the Indianapolis Colts?

The Colts-Steelers game was without a doubt the craziest game this weekend with the interception-fumble-incomplete pass, Vanderjagt’s miss, Harper’s horrendous runback, and the refs cheating. The one thing I left out of my column this week (because I forgot about it and I’m not sure how it would have gone over in this neck of the woods) is how the Lord forgot about the Colts and allowed them to lose.

Where am I getting this? Well after the loss the Colts’ kicker Mike Vanderjagt said, “I guess the Lord forgot about the football team.” So why did the Lord forsake the Colts? Did the Lord forsake the Colts? Does the Lord really care who wins a football game? I have always wondered this because you will hear players on winning teams thank the Lord for their victory or for being “on their side.” Is this really how it works? Does God pick a team and help “His” team win the game?

I have a hard time believing that with all the things going on in the world that God would spend too much time worrying about a football game. I am sure he is capable of concentrating on billions and billions of different things at one time, but I think some things would be more important. I do believe that God gave the players the talent and ability to play the games and I like to believe that God would be with them when they play if only to keep them safe from injury. I think that the game is totally left up to the players and coaches.

What do you think? Do you think that God is with your team win they win? Do you also think He is against your team when they lose? Do you find yourself praying that your team will win a game? Is it alright to pray for a victory for your team? The Bible just does not make things clear when it comes to God and sporting events.

No comments: