Wednesday, January 24, 2007

This one is for the guitar geeks.

I just found something that made my day, hell, maybe my week. I was searching through some blogs today and I found a link to a blog called cityrag. Cityrag informed me that Guitar World has compiled a list of the 100 greatest guitar solos. With me being a rocker, I thought this sounds pretty cool. Well, cityrag went a step further and I love them for it. Instead of just telling me who the top 100 were or just giving me a link to Guitar World’s site, cityrag took the top 20 plus 9 more and found live video of each solo being performed on the lovely invention YouTube. Not interested? Let me tell you some of the solos you will see.

You will see Led Zep’s Stairway to Heaven. This is a 4 or 5 minute solo by the master soloist, Jimmy Page.

You will see a 7 minute solo from Lynyrd Skynyrd’s Freebird. I think that this should probably be the number one solo, but number three isn’t bad.

You will see Eddie Van Halen playing Eruption circa 1978 (it looks like) and then charging right into You Really Got Me.

You can see the Eagles' Hotel California. The guitar faces alone made by Joe Walsh make it worth seeing this clip.

Those are just a few that I have watched and I am prepared to waste my whole day finishing the list. If you are a guitar hero or a rock fan in general, click the link and check out this smorgasbord of rock.

2 comments:

BRATCH said...

We are going to talk about this on the podcast.

Anyway, I almost have to give number one to Gilmour on Comfortably Numb with Free Bird being 1B. At least that version of Free Bird with the semi-dual guitars.

Anyway, what makes Gilmour tops for me is how you are listening to the solo and while most solos end up with the band following the solo, his solo follows right along with the rest of the band and the song. But it still seems so off the cuff at the same time.

He also has that signature almost evil guitar tone.

And as far as Freebird goes, Allen Collins is probably the most underrated guitarist ever. No one knows who he is.

Piccu said...

I liked the Freebird version with two guitars and only Allen Collins playing the solo. The best version I have seen and heard was the version on BBC Crown Jewels from the British TV show The Old Grey Whistle Test that has been appearing on VH1 Classics a couple times a week.

I am not sure that anyone wants to hear us discuss the greatest guitar solos of all time. Even I might be bored with that. Besides, it is all subjective anyway. Jimi Hendrix should probably be 3 through 10 anyway.