Monday, January 15, 2007

Jack Bauer, LT, Brett Favre, I'm a ramblin' man.

This post takes place between the hours of 5:00 PM and 6:00 PM. BOOP! BOOP! BOOP! BOOP!

I had a few things on my mind today and thought I would write about them now instead of a day or two from now when I come off of a mini-MLK Day vacation.

I'll start with Jack Bauer. While I love TV and I watch so much of it I have to sacrifice watching good shows to find time to work and eat (I do not sleep), I was actually excited about the return of 24. I love 24 but hate it at the same time. It is the most tense, suspenseful, thrilling show on TV and I hate it. It makes me nervous and anxious and sometimes I just want to fast forward to the end to see what happens.

Last night was no exception and if you didn't see hours 1 and 2, check out hours 3 and 4 tonight on FOX. The highlight for me from Sunday's shows were Jack Bauer literally going for the jugular as he tricked a stupid terrorist into getting too close to him. Bauer then grabbed the terrorist and tore into his neck releasing so much blood that Jack looked like Gene Simmons right before God of Thunder at a KISS concert. I am geeked up for some Jack Bauer. In fact, I have a feeling I may have to post some more little known Jack Bauer facts in the upcoming weeks. Check the archives to see what I am talking about.

Now we have American Idol coming up Tuesday and Wednesday and I wonder if FOX just decides that the months of October through December don't really matter. They roll out their best shows in January and mop the floor with the other networks in the ratings until summer.

Another thing on my mind this weekend, besides the fact that for a former "sportswriter" I never seem to write about sports that much anymore, the whole LaDainian Tomlinson blowup at the Patriots after the Chargers loss on Sunday. LT is usually the classiest player in the game. LT is a guy who doesn't know the meaning of the phrase touchdown celebration. LT is obviously a guy who is naive and doesn't realize the climate he lives in these days. LT was furious that some of the Partiots' players dared to imitate Shawn Merriman's famous "Lights Out" dance on the Chargers on field logo. How dare they!!!

LT, first, I would be more upset with the fact that I am not in the playoffs any longer than what the Pats were up to after the game. LT, I also wouldn't be so quick to outrage over a dance impersonation, especially when the originator of that dance, Shawn Merriman, has tested positive for steroids this season, Merriman also does that dance after he makes a great play. It's his "look at me" dance and that doesn't seem like your thing.

I think LT will look back on this later and realize that he may have gotten a little too touchy about what happened. I'm sure we have all said things we wish we hadn't after a heated exchange in which we came up on the losing end.

Now another thing I will comment quickly on in the world of sports and this takes me to the "frozen tundra" of Green Bay, Wisconsin. I may have a reader or two there, you never know. Anyway, I just saw on PTI that Brett Favre has cancelled his membership at his country club in Green Bay. If this is paired with his tearful end of season interview, it would seem that maybe Favre is moving on.

Personally I hope not because I like Favre and think he has a good year or two left in him. I think an athlete has the right to decide for himself whether or not he wants to come back and not be pushed out by the team or the media. Favre claims the decision will be made soon as to whether he returns or not. Perhaps he is trying to let us down easy this way by giving us subtle hints.

Well, that's it for my ramblings, I have to go and meditate and get ready to enter Jack Bauer's world.

2 comments:

Laura said...

no brett! no don't leave us!

i cried a little after reading this post.

Piccu said...

I figured you would. That is the only reason I posted it. For some reason that makes me smile. Sorry!