Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Superman Returns and does not disappoint.

Just got back from Superman Returns and I thought I would let some of you in on my thoughts. As if you care. As I have said before, I am not a Superman guy, I much more anticipated the new X-Men, Batman, Spiderman and even Hulk movies. I will say that as soon as you hear that familiar Superman theme music at the beginning of the feature, you quickly become a Superman guy, or gal.

You have probably already read stuff about it, either reviews or magazine articles. Superman returns to Earth after 5 years of searching for his home planet. Once he returns, things are awkward at first, but slowly begin to piece back together. Lex Luthor is the bad guy and who else would you want to be the bad guy in the first new Superman movie in 25 years.

The story is pretty good and involves Superman and Lois trying to figure things out between them. While that is going on, Lex is up to no good with a plot that will devastate the world. Personally I did not care too much for this plot of his, but it is what it is. Superman tries to save the day and you will have to watch the movie to see if he does, as if no one knows.

Brandon Routh played a pretty good Christopher Reeves playing Superman. I am not sure if he can go on to other roles and be successful, but then again Reeves never did either. I think he will make tons of money and should be having a Vince Chase-like life right about now.

I didn't like the sound of Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane the first time I heard about it, but she is really good, and really hot. Kevin Spacey is always good, but actually he was just kind of eh for me. He did provide most of the comic moments in the film, all of which got a chuckle.

The action was good, lots of special effects, but every super hero movie has its share. Just seeing Superman fly around in some of the scenes is just amazing. It reminds you of the first times you ever saw the original Superman movies.

In other news, the first preview of the day was Spider-Man 3, a preiew you can check out if you scroll down a bit on this site. I have to say that I did not see Superman being gay as some media outlets have been saying. I did, however, see him as a messiah like figure. This story could match up very well with the Chronicles of Narnia. All in all, I think fans and non fans alike will enjoy Superman Returns and I bet this is the best popcorn event you will see all year.

No comments: