Thursday, June 22, 2006

Gambling Addictions

I just went to a Grand Rounds (fancy word for a big lecture) on Gambling Addiction. It was very interesting especially that 80% of John Q public socially gambles. Now, I admit to having been a part of few poker games and have been to the "boat" a time or two, but there is legitimately a problem for some. Below is the diagnostic criteria for Pathologic Gambling per the DSM IV:

Maladaptive gambling behavior with five or more of the following symptoms-

1.preoccupied with gambling
2.needs to gamble with increasing amounts of money to achieve the excitement
3.unsuccessful efforts to control, cut back, or stop
4.restless or irritable when trying to cut back or stop
5.gambles as a way to escape from problems
6."chasing losses" (returns to win back lost money)
7.lies or conceals extent of gambling
8.committed illegal acts to finance gambling
9. lost or jeopardized a relationship, job, or education because of gambling
10.relies on others to relieve a desparate debt from gambling or financial problem due to gambling.

1 comment:

Piccu said...

I have been pretty close to alot of those "symptoms" in the past. There was a time I was playing poker 5 nights a week. And this was at a time when I had no money, I was just a college student.

I played so much that when I slept all I dreamt about was playing poker. I probably won more times than I lost, but I was spending my winnings instead of saving them for the next poker game. That's not smart when you have a limited income.

I cut way back in the last ten years or so, and in fact I now do not even enjot playing just a straight up friendly game.