Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Lord of the Rings fans rejoice!!! You are being taken advantage of.

Lord of the Ring fans get ready for the super long extended editions ready to roll out in August. Wait a minute, I already have the super long extended editions, or do I? It seems that yes I do. Apparently New Line and Peter Jackson are not content with the billions of dollars they have already made and knowing the obsessive nature of their fanboy geeks, they know they can sell any number of “new” and “super” editions.

It seems that these new editions will contain both the theatrical version and the extended versions of the film. I might add that all of these are already available for sale. What is new to the “new” editions? New documentaries on the making of The Lord of the Rings trilogy. As if there weren’t enough documentaries and making of features in the previous DVD editions.

I am all for loading up a DVD with great additions, I am looking forward to repurchasing the Dazed and Confused Criterion edition just for the extras, but enough is enough. As much as I loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy, as of right now, I will not be plopping down my hard earned dough for something that I already own. It makes no sense.

This is the type of tactic that leads people like me to look into ripping and burning DVDs. When you have the movie, but you want the extras? Just go rent this edition and rip and burn, now you have all the editions. At least until they release the super never before seen unrated director’s cut in three collectible boxes featuring Frodo, Gandalf, and Sam.

1 comment:

Orelinde_03 said...

I am a HUGE LOTR fan. Had waited for TTT and RTOK with baited breath each year, and had gone as far as to go to the midnight viewing of ROTK.

I am a self-confessed LOTR geek. I say this as I own both the theater edition as well as the Extended editions of the trilogy.

However all I can say is: Shame on You Peter Jackson for releasing the 'Super-duper, director's dream edition' of LOTR. How much more can you cram into the film version? How much more of trecking through a volcanic erupting Mordor can a viewer take, before they collapse from the exhaustion that Frodo and Sam had to endure on their way to Mount Doom? How many more tears can one shed when Gandolf and Frodo are saying good-bye to their friends?

I like Peter Jackson, and am thankful for his bringing to the screen what he has done. I enjoyed King Kong as well, and own that on dvd too. But his releasing all these special editions, extended and uncut dvd's? It takes away from his 'fan-giving' credibility. It does not make me think any longer he wants to share his love, art, and work with the public because he too is still a fan-boy. All it says to me is 'Show me the money!" And that breaks my heart.