Friday, June 02, 2006

Batwoman is coming out in July, Batman will be shocked.

I have never been a comic book guy, per se. I did love all the cartoons based on comic books, the Super Friends, Spider-Man, and the Hulk. I enjoyed all those. I now have a comic book I can get behind. The new edition of Batwoman will be coming out in July. And I do mean coming out. It seems that Batwoman is a lesbian. You would have to think of all the super heroes in the world, one of the them would be super gay.

Here is the description of the all new, all gay Batwoman. “The 5-foot-10 superhero comes with flowing red hair, knee-high red boots with spiked heels, and a form-fitting black outfit.” Sounds like a waste to male super heroes. I am sure that most male super heroes are like me and they love those red heads.

The creators say that they are not doing this just to have a gay character, it is all about diversity. If that were the case, then where is the gay male superhero? I would imagine that this comic will sell a bajillion copies if only for the curiosity factor and the hopes of all the fanboys that they will see some elaborate lesbian scenario between Batwoman and Wonder Woman. I wonder if this were Batman coming out or, like Batwoman, a lesser known male superhero who was gay, how well this would go over.

I am not sure the comic book universe is ready for a gay superhero of any gender. Maybe I am wrong; maybe comic geeks are the more evolved cult group of society. I just wonder if Batwoman takes off, will we then have Gay-man patrolling crime riddled streets or will the Green Lantern finally come out of the closet.

1 comment:

Orelinde_03 said...

I never 'collected' comic books, but as a kid, had read my fair share of them. And I was a huge Batman fan (of the original show, and movies) and Wonderwoman, and lusted after Aquaman. There I said it. I lusted after Aquaman.

Anyway, I am highly intrigued by this new Batwoman comic book. I just can't figure it out. Personally I always thought Batman and Robin were a little too chummy. But Batwoman???

And, the way they've described her, she sure does sound HOT! I mean, I don't bat for the same team, but the way they've described Batwoman, it sure makes me anxious to see what this do-gooder looks like!