Friday, June 23, 2006

Iron Man is coming to theaters in 2008. Does anyone care?

Here we go, more comic book hero talk. I just read on Yahoo that the next big superhero blockbuster will be opening on May 2, 2008. Who is said superhero? Iron Man. Here is a superhero I have virtually no background information on. I have seen him, I have an idea what he looks like, but I don’t know his secret identity or his powers. I do believe that I had heard mentioned in a TV show that Iron Man is an alcoholic, but I am not sure on that.

I think Hollywood is coming dangerously close to ruining the comic book hero movie. I can understand wanting to bring back Batman and Superman and wanting to create a Spiderman franchise, but as we saw with Daredevil, Electra, and League of Extrodinary Gentlemen, if you don’t have a dynamite script and great effects, the lesser known heroes can fail miserably. I am still fuming over the clusterf*@k that is the Hulk because Hulk is one of my all time favorites, but a sometimes excruciating slow build and horrible effects ruined what could have been an exciting franchise.

I am not sure that there has been a rising clamor for an Iron Man flick and I am not sure that I will have much interest in one. I didn’t even see the Fantastic Four movie because of bad reviews and they weren’t a group of heroes that I had ever really cared about. Maybe I am wrong, maybe there is a huge fanbase for Iron Man, but I bet I am not the only one who is reading about the Iron Man movie and saying, “Who cares?”

No comments: