Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Has the Joker been cast in the next Batman? Or is the joke on the fans?

I know that for a self proclaimed none comic book reader, I sure seem to spend a lot of time on famous comic book characters and this post is no different. I heard this crazy rumor a few days ago and I have delayed posting it because I just did not want to believe it was true. It is news on the new Batman movie that is coming up and the casting of one of the greatest if not THE greatest villains of all time, the Joker. It has been reported, and I hope these reports are completely false, that Paul Reubens will be the Joker in the new Batman movie.

Yes, Pee Wee Herman will be portraying the legendary Joker. Who are the ad wizards that came up with this? I never liked Pee Wee Herman, but I do like Reubens' work in movies such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Blow. I cannot see him playing this role. I think you need someone bigger. I think that this person should be someone who is already seen as a funnyman or you go in the other direction with someone who never has played comedy. I definitely think you have to go for a known entity; you can’t pick a nobody out of the crowd to play this character.

I am not sure who could fit those parameters. I do not see Will Ferrell in the part. Perhaps Al Pacino? He is not someone who plays comedy often and he has a history of being completely over the top, which is good for the Joker. I am not sure I would be satisfied with that.

If Jim Carrey had not already appeared as the Riddler I would think he would be perfect, but I do not think you should retread actors. Unless you just go ahead and bring back Jack, as in Nicholson. He was perfect in the Tim Burton Batman. Could he pull it off 15 years later? I’m not sure.

Whatever the case, I hope that the right guy for the job can be found. I think Christopher Nolan has a chance to go two for two with Batman films if he gets the cast right.

1 comment:

Orelinde_03 said...

I love, Loved, LOVED Jack Nicholson as The Joker. He was one of my favorite villians of all times. I totally think he could still pull it off...it's Jack-o.

If they want to shoot the Batman film as a joke, example the tv series, then by all means use Pee-Wee. But under NO circumstances do I think he would be a good 'Joker'.

If I had my pick, I would go with either Brad Pitt (who actually can do funny real well) yet still be dark, or even Dinero.