Thursday, May 25, 2006

The OC has some new roads with some familiar names.

As part of my job, I get to name roads. Well, at least roads in the county that have been unnamed since they were put on our maps. Some are haul roads, some are driveways that have been mapped, and at least one is the drive around a trailer park. I was given a map of the unnamed roads and was told to name them.

The haul roads were easy because the KY Fish & Wildlife have named a few of them already and their names gave me an idea of how to name the rest. Most have names like KH17 Ln or KH1 Rd, things like that. However, there were a few other roads that were not necessarily haul roads and weren't in the same area. I do not know if these names will stick or if they will even stay roads on the map.

I sat and thought about names I could use. I did not want to use a similar name or one that has already been used. There is a Church St in every small city in the OC. So I thought outside the box. Here are a few names I used.

Here are four that are from the same source. Veronica Ln, Mars Loop, Kane Ln, and Logan Ln are all new roads in and around the OC. Sawyer St and Hurly Ln are two others that I named. We have a Bogart Loop and a Hitchcock Rd. Those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head, at least the ones that aren’t named a normal street name. I hope these never get a street sign because I just may have to “borrow” them for a collection.

No comments: