Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Gnarls Barkley will make your summer.

It’s summertime and that means it is time for some good summer music to listen to. I am a bit of a music fan and I would like to recommend the group Gnarls Barkley. Their cd is entitled “St. Elsewhere” and is a great collection of fun summer tunes. The lead single “Crazy” is the kind of song you want to listen to over and over and over. It is also a perfect tune to listen to while cruising around on a hot summer night.

Gnarls Barkley is made up of two individuals you may have heard of. Gnarls could be called a hip hop supergroup because it features Cee-Lo, from the Goodie Mob and his own solo career, and Danger Mouse, who really gained famed for his mash up of Jay Z’s Black album and The Beatles’ White Album and he more recently produced the new Gorillaz album. Cee-Lo apparently called up Danger Mouse and asked if he would produce a song or two for him and Danger Mouse said that he didn’t do songs, he did albums. Thus was born Gnarls Barkley.

I want to compare them to Outkast, but not so much because the sounds are similar, but I remember how I felt when I first heard an Outkast cd. It blew me away because it sounded so different. Gnarls is like this. I would not call this a rap album. It is more old school R & B vocals with hip hop tracks underneath. It works so well. I found myself thinking of the Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 soundtracks when I was listening to this. It has an old school vibe to it, almost an Ennio Morricone-ness to it as well as a classic soul music sound. If you know what I mean. It is hard to put into words.

I think you will love this if you love Outkast, classic soul, or Ennio Morricone. I picked it up at Target for about $9 or $10 and it is definitely worth it. Start your summer off on the right note and pick it up.

No comments: