Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Rock n Roll Hall of Fame inductees for 2006 and it's about time for one.

All I can say is it’s about time. Black Sabbath is finally being inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. Why this took so long I do not know. This band has influenced as many bands as The Beatles. You cannot listen to heavy rock today and not hear Sabbath in every song. Sabbath began the scary heavy rock movement. Just get Black Sabbath’s first cd entitled Black Sabbath and put it in the cd player, turn out the lights and crank up track one, also titled Black Sabbath and get ready to crap your pants.

I wonder if the band will be at the induction, for years Ozzy has been asking for Sabbath’s name to be taken off the nominee list. He doesn’t believe the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame means anything; it’s the fans that tell you if you mean something. I tend to agree because Kiss has not been elected to the Hall of Fame when one hit wonders can get in, but I will save that rant for another time.

Lynyrd Skynyrd are going in. They are so good that I can’t listen to them anymore. I used to listen to some Skynyrd everyday for about 6 months and I can’t do it anymore, total burnout. Blondie is also going in. Blondie is a great band (although some may disagree with that, Bratch) that really brought New Wave music to the forefront of 80’s rock. Blondie started out as a punk band and then transformed into a New Wave band and speaking of punk, the Sex Pistols will be inducted this year also. Now I am not a huge Sex Pistols fan, I am more of a Ramones man, but I realize that they are a huge band when it came to the punk movement. The Sex Pistols are Nirvana for the punk movement so I am fine with this induction. Miles Davis is going in as well and I know nothing about Davis. I am not a Jazz fan, more of a Blues guy. I do know that Miles Davis is the man when it comes to Jazz. I have no problem with this induction.

Overall not a bad class, all deserving as far as I can see. The only problem I had is the time it took Black Sabbath to get in. It makes me wonder what you have to do to get in because a great catalog of work and being the major influence of a whole music scene obviously isn’t enough. I’m gonna go dig up my Sabbath and Blondie cds and rock out.

3 comments:

BRATCH said...

I'm with Piccu on Black Sabbath. Probably my favorite song from Sabbath is the first track from their first album and I actually think it too is called Black Sabbath.

Anyway, pop that CD in and listen to that track and imagine what people thought when they heard it back in the late 60s and early 70s. And after hearing that track that was what Sabbath was. That single first track to ever be heard from that band told you everything you needed to know.

my_merlin77 said...

I went to the hall of fame several years ago. It was a pretty great trip actually. I think you see it once and it takes a few years to want to get back, but of all people, Piccu needs to go.

BRATCH said...

The only thing I hated about the Rock Hall of Fame was that you couldn't take any cameras in.

That blows.

I had this piece of crap digital camera that only took 640x480 photos and they wouldn't let me take it in.

It's still really cool though. You can lost in there with all of the stuff they have.