Thursday, November 03, 2005

Disc Golf update

Since my recent obsession with disc golf, I have made attempts to not blog about every birdie I throw or with every personal record I set. I even hesitate to write this post now, but I must say it is a bit to good to keep.

I have gradually been getting better with my game. Just like in golf, you get a little better overall with occassional self destructions on a hole or awesome shots. I have pared down my game to the point where I shoot for par on every hole. A bogie here in there is expected and accepted and an occassional birdie is great.

Recently, however, I have had the best round ever. It goes beyond breaking personal records. I actually threw for two over par. To give you an idea, I threw 56. Previously my best round was a 61. when I started I was throwing 70-75.

This is a great game. I'm not going to call it a sport or make any kind of overly bold statements about it, but it is fun. I have no doubt at all Bratch would love this game and do quite well. Piccu would do well too and in no time get to a level of talking trash that he is accustomed too.

One thing that is pretty cool and I think would be Bratch's favorite part (as it is one of mine too), is the diversity of equipment. To give you a brief primer on this, there are two types of materials used. The difference is not in how the disc throws but how it holds up over time. Also, as you get into throwing the disc well it takes on this S shaped curve (actually a backwards S for a right hander). So at the end of the throw the disc tails off to the left. There are about ten or eleven levels of distance and within each there are 5 or so discs with a spectrum of how they curve. To add to all the equipment there is the fore hand throw which is just how it sounds. The point of that is that it follows the opposite path of the regular throw or in other words is equal to throwing it left handed.

Between the cool aspects of the equpment for us geeks and the low cost of playing it is pretty great.

2 comments:

BRATCH said...

Since you put a link to the PDGA, I'm assuming you are a member already and have booked your hotel room in Tulsa for the 2006 World Championships.

my_merlin77 said...

How bout no Scott.