Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett dies...

I was sifting through Yahoo's most popular photos and saw a thumb nail that knew had to be a band so I clicked on it and it was a photo of Pink Floyd from the 60's. It actually kind of shocked me that their former front man and guitarist Syd Barrett has passed away.

Say what you will about Barrett, he influenced practically everything they did even after he left the band and went into seclusion. Dark Side of the Moon is almost exclusively about mental illness and its Barrett's mental illness due to LSD and other drug use that ended his music career.

Pink Floyd is one of my most favorite bands. Probably is my favorite band. If you listen to Dark Side, you never even begin to realize that it was recorded 33 years ago in 1973. That just boggles my mind.

If you get a chance check out the albums Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, Animals, Wish You Were Here, The Wall and The Division Bell. In fact, Floyd is releasing the Pulse concert video either today or tomorrow on DVD for the first time. It is a great concert. I was lucky enough to record the Pink Floyd reunion show at Live 8 this year off of XM radio and it's something I'll keep forever.

Just so everyone knows, if Pink Floyd gets back together, WE'RE THERE!!!!!

2 comments:

Orelinde_03 said...

I was shocked when I read about his passing. And I agree too, that Dark Side is an amazing album. I had seen a lazer show once set to the music and it absolutly rocked!

Piccu said...

If I am not mistaken, I believe the Wish You Were Here album is a tirbute to Barrett. I know Shine On is. I didn't really get into the Pink Floyd when he was in the band, but he was an inspiration to them the rest of their career, so for that, we should all be grateful.