Tuesday, September 13, 2005

TV's new fall season is in full swing on FOX with the others catching up soon

Fall TV season is here again. It seems like only yesterday I was hyping the praises of a show called House on Fox. Tonight that show begins its second season and while I will continue to watch and be a fan, it will be interesting to see if it can hold on to its great rating from last season without American Idol as its lead in. The new show Bones premieres tonight before House and while I will check it out, I am not sure if it will make it into my fall rotation. I already have to go out and buy a new VCR because some of my favorite shows are conflicting with each other, as well as wanting to check out some new shows.

The new shows I am interested in are very few. I am curious about My Name is Earl on NBC because Jason Lee is hilarious. His performance in Mallrats to me will always be one of the great raunchy comedic performances in movie history. I am also interested in Kitchen Confidential on Fox. I have heard good things about this show and after the performance of Bradley Cooper in the Wedding Crashers as Owen Wilson’s rival; I believe this show will be alright. Another new comedy that interests me is Everybody Hates Chris based on Chris Rock’s life growing up. The most surprising thing is this is on UPN. Which also means it will not get huge ratings, but I bet it will get a chance to grow and gain an audience.

As far as any other new shows, I have to say I am not impressed right off the bat. It seems all the new shows are dramas and they all want to try and capture that Lost feeling by making them all supernatural. Or all of the new dramas are CSI: Wherever. I like CSI and I love Lost, but I just don’t think you can capture what they have with a copycat type show. We will see.

As for returning shows, I am looking forward to Lost on ABC, just to find out what is in the hatch. I read in Entertainment Weekly that we will find out what is in the hatch in the first episode. One cast member said they were disappointed in what the writers came up with and another cast member said it will blow us away. Whatever it is I am sure it will only raise more questions instead of giving us answers.

I am looking forward to Medium’s season premiere on NBC, mostly because the finale was so good and it was just a great cliffhanger. It didn’t make you angry with how much they held back, but it made you anticipate the conclusion. I am also looking forward to the return of Arrested Development on Fox. This show is the funniest show on TV and I hope it can continue to buck the odds and remain on TV for many years to come, despite people not watching it. If you have never seen it, run out and buy or rent the DVD. It is worth it. If you like smart silly comedies you will love this.

Perhaps the returning show I am looking forward to the most is Veronica Mars on the WB. I am just freaked out over this show and wonder why I didn’t watch the whole run last year instead of waiting for summer reruns. This show is so good, funny, smart, and Kristen Bell as Veronica Mars is amazing.

Veronica Mars is a show that can surprise you wtih twists you do not see coming. I was watching it the other night and a secret came out and I just wanted to scream it was so crazy. It was better than anything Lost has let the viewers in on, even if it was a little soap operary. If you have the WB check this out on Wednesdays at 8 Central. I know what you are saying, “Hey, Lost is on at that time!” I know, I know, but we have VCRs and DVRs nowadays and you can tape one and watch it later. But I will let you in on a little secret, if I had to choose between Lost and Veronica Mars and there were no VCRs or DVRs, I would pick Miss Mars.

So there is my little preview of the upcoming fall season. I will probably watch every show that comes on, at least until I realize I just don’t have enough hours in the day to waste my life watching TV. Or until I realize that most of the new shows stink. Either way I am greatly anticipating the long hours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to flag Piccu here. Arrested Development is a funny if underappreciated show, but the funniest show on television is Scrubs. Admittedly, I don't watch a whole lot of TV, but I make sure I catch Scrubs. It's hilarious.