Saturday, July 02, 2005

Live 8. Greatest. Concert. Ever.

I have just finished listening to and watching the Live 8 concerts and I am worn out. I feel as though was in attendance at the London show. I listened to just about every set on that show. The Toronto and Philly shows were the two others that were must hear. I listened to all this on XM satellite radio. I watched, if you could call it that, the concerts on MTV. I have to say that MTV really dropped the ball, and why this surprises me, I don't know. They seemed to be more interested in selling stuff, with wall to wall commercials and talking to the crowd. I'm sorry, but I don't give two craps about what Kip from Pawtucket cares about the show. MTV should be ashamed of how they handled this concert. They broke away on many occasions in the middle of songs. I know they have to take breaks to sell stuff, but they could at least wait until the song is over. I would not be suprised if the 2 hour ABC special on Live 8 shows more music than the 7 hour MTV show did. Very bad way to handle the greatest concert in history.

I do want to give XM radio much props and dap for doing it right. They had a channel for every show and kept you informed about who was coming up and what was playing on other channels. One gripe I have is that they kept hyping a BIG finale in Toronto with the Rolling Stones that never materialized, but that is small stuff. Highlights of the show were Paul McCartney and U2 with Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Deep Purple had an amazing set, Green Day tore the house down, Snoop Dogg in London and Jay-Z in Philly were both really good.

Many performances and many highlights, but the day for me was all about Pink Floyd. Pink Floyd reunited for four songs in London and the performance gave me goose bumps. I figured they would play Money, Wish You Were Here, and Comfortably Numb, at least I hoped they would, and they did, but they opened with Breathe which I hadn't counted on. For a second, I thought they were going to run through Dark Side, but it was not to be. To see them together for the first time in over 20 years was definitely history making, but to see them all smiling and enjoying themselves was even better. It would be to much to dream that this would somehow kickoff a real reunification and some new stuff with a tour to follow. Unfortunatly it doesn't seem that is going to happen, at least not for another year or so, due to David Gilmour being involved with some solo stuff. But, we can dream. That tour would make so much money, it would make the Stones look like they were playing bingo halls.

Overall it was a great day of music and it was for a good cause. Check out the Live 8 webstie from the link above and sign the Live 8 List, it's the least one can do to try to make a difference in the lives of people who need help.

No comments: