Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Rehnquist should use good judgement and step down.

Something needs to be done. When you have to issue statements that despite the rumors, you are not stepping down from the Supreme Court, then you need to go. Supreme Court Judge William Rehnquist was in the hospital last week and from his sickbed issued that statement. If you have to tell people you are still alive, then it means that you are in bad shape.

I don’t really understand why he is still there. He knows that George W will just replace him with a judge made in his image. Rehnquist should retire and enjoy what time he has left on this earth and know his position will be well taken care of. I don’t know about you, but I start to feel a little queasy when I realize that we have 75 and 80 year old judges deciding the most important legal decisions in our country. I know they are more than qualified, but come on; these people were in their prime in the 70’s and 80’s. Do they really understand the ways of the world at their age? Times have changed, the judges have not.

I don’t just feel this way about the Supreme Court Judges, I also feel this way about the Pope. I just can’t imagine having a job that you can keep until you die or decide to step down. What happens if these people who stay on into their 80’s start to develop Alzheimer’s or some form of dementia? That is what scares me the most. I know I am just some dumb guy in Kentucky who doesn’t know the ins and outs of these matters, but it seems to me that there should be a mandatory age limit. Maybe this is totally inconceivable, I don’t know. I just find it hard to believe there isn’t more said about this issue. Rehnquist should do his family and his country some good and just step down and enjoy the rest of his days away from my legal system.

No comments: