Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Japan's newest law makes me proud to be an American

It’s over; the biggest sign of the apocalypse is here. The Japanese government has now made it illegal to fast forward through commercials on your TIVO. I thought that our government had some problems, but even they aren’t this stupid. If I may ask the question on everyone’s mine, what good is having TIVO if you can’t skip the ads?

Skipping ads is the only reason I have a DVR. You noticed I said DVR. I do not own a TIVO, if that is the correct name for the box, I have DISH Network DVR. Is it also illegal to skip commercials with any DVR device, or just TIVO? TIVO should be looking into a lawsuit.

I just recently read that TIVO hasn’t turned a profit since day one and has started to sell pop up ads to advertisers who thought they were being skipped. Just as a way to generate some revenue and to perhaps dissuade the advertisers from raising even more cane about the ad skip ability. I know, I know, do we really need MORE pop up ads?

I find it hard to believe that a company that could come up with what I believe to be the greatest invention since fire could not make any money on it. I hope our government, who loves to do what companies and people with money tell them to do, doesn’t see this horrible law and decide it would be good for us. I do not want to go back to VHS. It’s dead to me.

No comments: