Monday, July 25, 2005

Veronica Mars is well worth your time this summer.

I know I haven’t made any summertime movietime picks in a while and perhaps I will later on this week, but right now I need to talk about a show that I have found to be the greatest show of all time. Well, maybe not of all time, but definitely in the history of UPN. This show is Veronica Mars. I had heard good things all fall and winter about this show, but I never checked it out until I started to watch the summer reruns. I have now found out why it got such good buzz. It is a well written show with great characters and smart dialogue. It has a new mystery every show, while continuing the mystery that is the foundation of the show.

Let me give you some background. Veronica Mars is a former “popular” girl who was thrown from grace rather than she had a fall from grace. Her rich popular jock boyfriend dumps her and her rich popular best friend is brutally murdered. Veronica’s dad, Keith is the sheriff of the town and accuses the father of the slain girl of killing her. The father of the slain girl is the most powerful man in the town and Keith Mars loses his job as sheriff and is looked at as scum by the most of the town. Veronica has the same outcome in school and is looked at as the outcast of the school. To top things off, Veronica’s mom, perhaps because of the loss of social status and comfortable life, has abandoned her family and disappears in the night. Keith Mars starts his own private investigation business and Veronica helps out by answering phones, taking messages, and solving her own cases.

All that takes place in episode one through a series of flashbacks. Throughout the show you meet different characters and just when you think you have them pigeonholed as a formulaic “TV” character in the show, they change or do something totally against what you would believe them to do. This show is so interesting and I can’t wait to watch it on Wednesdays on UPN.

Unfortunately for most of you, this great show comes on UPN. UPN is a network that only appears in about 4 households. I have the channel through DISH network, but I am unsure about its availability through local cable services or Direct TV.

I have however discovered something very interesting. I always look through my program guide on my satellite and I noticed that the first two episodes of Veronica Mars are going to be on my local CBS channel at 7 and 8 PM Central time this Friday, July 29. If this is the case with all CBS channels, and if I am not mistaken, CBS and UPN are owned by the same company, I believe that you too can catch a glimpse of one of the best shows on TV. The only problem with this is, if it sucks you in and you become a fan, you won’t be able to watch it in the fall unless you have a UPN channel. I think you should take the chance and let yourself enjoy a smart, hip, fun show that shines in a summer full of Hiltons, Hilfigers, and other garbage.

No comments: