Thursday, July 14, 2005

Hillary actually has it right...

When I first saw on the news this morning that Hillary Clinton was "going after" video games like Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, I assumed she was going to go about it the wrong way, but she actually didn't.

Clinton just wants to institute a law that would fine retailers $5,000 if they sold a violent or sexually explicit video game to a minor. Since I'm not a minor, I don't really have a problem with it and I actually have San Andreas in my PS2 right this very second. I haven't played it in a long time, but it's still in there.

I figured that Clinton would call for something drastic and therefore stupid, but I give her credit since it is due.

I do however believe that they should give a thought to regulating movies in the same fashion. Just because you get to interact with a video game and not a movie, it doesn't mean that movies aren't a problem either. Granted some horror games can get crazy, but I'm sure Rob Zombie's The Devil's Rejects is going to be ground breaking in all that is disturbing.

That being said, at some point the parents are going to have to take responsibility for being just that... The parent. If you let your young impressionable child play GTA: San Andreas, you probably should take a long look at whether you are cut out for this whole parenting thing.

But if the child has made it to the age at which they can play San Andreas and you let them, chances are the damage is already done. So rock on.

No comments: