Sunday, July 10, 2005

The Fantastic Four... Better than I expected

I saw a headline on Yahoo! that said that The Fantastic Four brought the movie industry out of it's slump. That may or may not be true, but I do know that the movie was entertaining and despite the fact that every movie critic in the country trashed it, I enjoyed it.

I wonder what some movie critics think when they go into see a film. You can't go into a movie based on a 40 year-old comic book series with the same mindset that you go into a dramatic film epic. I never really read much of the Fantastic Four when I was little, I was more of a Batman/Spiderman fan, but I was a kid and knew about them and watched the cartoon.

Therefore, when I went into the movie, I knew going in this wasn't going to be an Oscar nominee. It's basically an action flick with cool special effects and as long as it doesn't try to become something it isn't, it will be good. The Fantastic Four probably wasn't as good as the X-Men movies, but the X-Men were everyone's favorite and in the X-Men comics and cartoons they weren't afraid to kill off a main character or do something crazy and dramatic.

However, in the same vein as the X-Men, if you liked the Fantastic Four, they could sign all the characters to a 5 film contract and just keep making them and they would be very enjoyable.

I will admit that I'm able to enjoy movies much more than just about everyone. Most of the times I'll see a preview or two for a movie, but I usually assess what it is I'm about to see and take it for what it is. The movie industry loves people like me. If I think a movie will be worth seeing I'll go. Critics might bash it, but they have to really convince me that I shouldn't see a movie before I take their word for it.

The Fantastic Four was hammered by the critics and I went to a 1 p.m. show on a Friday and it was a packed theatre. The reviews that we read lowered our expectations and it was better than expected.

Kind of like Freddy vs. Jason and Jason X. Both of those movies were terrible, but we all knew going in that they were going to be terrible and we loved them. Old school horror films like those are more comedy than scary and that's why we dig them.

I guess my saving grace is that I don't dwell on things I notice that I might dislike during movies and most importantly I do not sit through movies and try to sort the whole movie out in the first 10 minutes. For those of you who do that, you might as well give the box office your 8 bucks and just go home because you are going to ruin the movie for yourself at some point.

It might be 20 minutes in or it might be 2 hours in, but you're going to get to a point where you'll figure out who the killer is. Then you'll sit in the theatre for the rest of movie thinking about how smart you are instead of enjoying the rest of the movie.

And if you figure it out too quickly you pretty much just look for flaws the entire time. That's wasting 8 bucks, a 20 foot movie screen and a $50,000 sound system.

No comments: