Monday, July 11, 2005

Strike two, they're out.

There are times in interviews with schizophrenic patients that they will say something that is absolutely bizarre. That doesn't bother me so much except when in a room of ten mental health professionals, I am the only one who seems to think it is bizarre while everyone else acts as if it is exactly what they expected them to say.

I had a similar experience looking at an article in The State today. The olympic committee has apparently decided to remove baseball and softball from the summer games. Am I the only one who thinks this is insane? For God's sake, they're keeping handball and badmitton. Is this some kind of jab at the US? You can't get more American than baseball. Obviously, Japan and other countries have picked it up too, but it just seems insane.

I could understand and support a decision that removed many sports that are not in the "roots" of the olympic games, but to seemingly randomly remove these to sports. Take a look at the list of summer olympic sports . These are not the first picks in my mind.

1 comment:

Piccu said...

I totally agree, to some extent. You know I am a huge baseball fan and I am upset that they have taken baseball out of the Olympics. Howeva, I am more upset that softball has been taken out. In softball the Olympics are the only thing these girls have. That is their World Series. The reason they took baseball away, I have heard, is because the pros do not play. I can kind of understand that, but to take away the only thing the USA women and many other teams have seems like a huge injustice. Hopefully, they will reinstate softball for the 2016 Olympics, so these women all over the world can have a shot at their World Series.