Friday, July 29, 2005

Sen. Bill Frist breaks with Bush on stem cell research.

Sen. Bill Frist has broken away from the President and is now supporting government funded stem cell research. When something like this happens, you have to wonder a couple of things. One, did he actually have a change of heart? Has his being a doctor shaped this decision? Two, is this just something he can use for his proposed run for President that can help him in the future? Does the Senator think this stand against Bush will bring him more liberal votes in the future?

The more cynical, conspiracy believing me will always choose the second option. I think politicians in general, be they conservative or liberal, will do anything they can to grab a couple of extra votes. But, in this case I believe he is thinking like a doctor and not like a politician. I think most of us can appreciate where he is coming from, all of us have known someone with an incurable disease that could perhaps be helped by stem cell research. The only problem is we DON’T know if the research could help us. I think that is one of the main sticking points for those opposed to stem cell research, beyond their religious and ethical reasons. All that being said, don’t we have to try?

I am a Christian and at the same time I do have liberal tendencies. They battle back and forth and sometimes the most logical answer will go against either my conservative or my liberal side. I feel like most of us are more moderate than our politicians will believe. I do not feel comfortable with scientists creating embryos just for the purpose of destroying them during research, which makes me sound like a moron because I believe we need to do this research. However, I feel that if a fertility clinic is going to produce embryos only to be destroyed in an incinerator, then why can’t scientists use them for research? If these embryos are going to be destroyed, then wouldn’t their death be better served as research to heal others?

I feel that the government has to do what is right for the people, and I would believe that a majority of the people would want this research done. It is apparent that most Californians believe more should be done. Why don’t we put this up for a vote and see what the country thinks? I don’t know all the answers, no one does and I think you just have to believe that what you are doing and feeling is the right thing. We won’t know if we are right until our time comes, but I have to believe that if there is a way to help our fellow man, then shouldn’t we make that attempt?

No comments: