Monday, June 27, 2005

Summertime Movietime Pick: The Cheyenne Social Club

This week’s summertime movietime pick is The Cheyenne Social Club. This is a Western, but only in the most basic sense. It is more of a comedy set in the West and it stars two of the greatest actors in history, James Stewart and Henry Fonda. Stewart and Fonda are two cowboys just drifting through life until Stewart receives word that his brother has died and left him the Cheyenne Social Club. Stewart and Fonda leave immediately for Cheyenne. When they arrive they soon find out that the Cheyenne Social Club is not a saloon as they first thought. Stewart has a hard time with his new profession and has quite a time deciding what to do with his new business.

As I said this movie is more comedy than Western and Fonda has some great lines in this film that made me laugh out loud. I may be biased because I am a big Western fan as well as a huge Fonda and Stewart fan. The only reason I watched this was because of Fonda and Stewart and I was very surprised how much I enjoyed it. If I were to compare this movie to another, it would be the Trinity series starring Terrence Hill. If you like that series, then you will like The Cheyenne Social Club and if you are a fan of Westerns but do not know the Trinity Series, then go to imdb.com and look up Terrence Hill. You won’t regret it. I would also compare this movie to a movie called My Name is Nobody, a spaghetti Western based on a story by Sergio Leone, with music by Ennio Morricone, starring Terrence Hill and Henry Fonda. It is very good. If you want to check out The Cheyenne Social Club, you need to consult the Westerns channel of Encore. It is not on DVD and the VHS is out of print so you may have to pay a little too much for this.

No comments: