Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Michael Bay trying to ruin Friday the 13th.

Do we really need to start remaking movies in the 1980’s? It appears that director/producer Michael Bay is ready to remake Friday the 13th. This is not a new installment, but a remake of the original 1980 film. Bay was hoping to get this film out by Friday, October 13, but it will not be feasible because they haven’t gotten much into place.

I can’t imagine how badly Bay will screw this up, but at least for the time being he is not directing it. He would have Will Smith and Jason involved in a series of elaborate car chases and perhaps a boat chase on Crystal Lake. He then will have several explosions and some huge gunfights. That would be his idea to bring this 80’s classic into the new millennium.

I think this a really bad idea and hope that cooler heads prevail. I thought the update for the Texas Chainsaw Massacre was unneeded (Bay was behind that also), and I would really just enjoy another Freddie vs. Jason vs. Michael Myers or vs. Ash from the Evil Dead series. I also believe that the 80’s era is not eligible for remakes because it was like two weeks ago. Filmmakers should focus on crappy movies with a good premise from the 50’s and 60’s. I am sure they could find many that fit that bill. Leave my decade alone at least for another 15 years or so.

2 comments:

BRATCH said...

I guess you can't really pick a single movie out of a franchise like Friday the 13th, but if any of them even remotely resembled a real movie it was the first one. So Bay has his hands full. From then on it was a crazy guy hacking everyone up and nothing but shameless blood and gore, but the first one was a decent little flick.

Of course, I haven't watched the original in a long time so I could be way off. Hopefully, Kevin Bacon will make another appearance.

my_merlin77 said...

You're right, it will probably be really bad. An updated teeny bopper will likely target the middle school-high school age with a few throw backs who want to remember the days of old. I have to give some credit to the fact that TCM remake could have been much, much worse.