Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Death of Our Society

Did the death of our society begin with Roe V Wade? With women voting (just kidding)?
No, the death of our society began with She's Like the Wind by Patrick Swayze. As I was just listening to that song on the overhead music here at work it occured to me that this is true.

"She's like the wind/through my tree." Even if that were to be taken sexually with his tree representing a phalic symbol, I'd have to say that's the worst line in the history of music. Yet, this song climbed the charts and even was number one for five weeks (it was on the top 40 for 40 weeks total).

If that doesn't represent a decline in expectations nothing does. We simply didn't demand much anymore. Maybe that's our whole problem. We're satisfied with mediocrity. I won't go on a rant here, but next time you think about settling for second best, remember "She's Like the Wind" and as more of yourself.

No comments: