Wednesday, March 07, 2007

American Idol Week 3: The Dudes

It’s Wednesday and that means it is time for some American Idol talk. The guys were bad last night. The beat boxer was probably the best although that “talent” of his really bothers me. He can sing, but like the rest of the guys, after the show is over, I don’t really remember any of them. Well, that’s a lie, I remember Sanjaya and Sundance, mainly because they are soooooooooooooooooo terrible.

Every week, Sanjaya looks worse and worse. He looks so uncomfortable out there and I think he is actually trying to get the boot. He has a nice look and a good enough voice to do something in the future, but for now he looks so overmatched against the rest of the guys. And they suck too! Sundance’s situation is the one of these things is not like the others factor. I would rather hear Sundance than Sanjaya, but it is hard to watch him perform. Sundance sang Pearl Jam’s Jeremy last night and I am not sure he really knew the lyrics. He was making up his own as he went along and I am not talking about “seemed a harmless little punk.”

With all that being said, I think one or both of them will make it to the final 12 because even though they suck, they are the ones you remember. I have to admit, the only reason I look forward to seeing the guys sing is to see how bad Sundance and Sanjaya are going to be. I also think that America knows that most of the singers this year, including the girls, stink, so what’s the harm in keeping the worst around until we get to the best 6 or 7. It makes for interesting TV. I mean, can you imagine how uncomfortable Sanjaya will look in front of thousands of people instead of the couple hundred they are in front of now? I think that would be great trainwreck TV.

The Jareds, Phils, and Brandons of the competition are good but I have no idea who they are after the show. Brandon I think is probably the best singer of all the guys, but he seems to have a problem picking songs that make a good impression. Phil is bald and Jared sings sex songs to his parents or grandparents, see that was the creepiest moment of the season so far and I can't remember which loved ones he wanted to sex up. Other than that Phil and Jared are invisible. I think those three should be scared to death this week for more than just the Sundance and Sanjaya crap factor.

Which leads me to this tidbit that may mean nothing, but I just heard on The Tony Kornheiser Show, which goes in depth on AI every week and can be found in iTunes as a podcast, that Seacrest teased a big announcement on Thursday’s booting show and there is speculation that instead of 6 guys and 6 girls it may become the top 12 vote getters. That means only Blake, Chris and Chris will be safe and the rest of the guys are in trouble, especially Brandon and Phil. It should be an interesting cutdown show this week. I can’t help but feeling that Sundance and Sanjaya are going to cost someone a spot in the top 12 even if it stays 6 and 6. And secretly, I hope it happens.

No comments: