Tuesday, July 10, 2007

You May Be a Christian, But You're Not Really

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070710/ap_on_re_eu/pope_other_christians;_ylt=Am_I8YLMpRfZUzhMrd7VoUcDW7oF


I'm not a fan of the pope. I realize that men in cloaks with collars may wake me in my sleep and kidnap tonight for saying that, but I'm not. I don't believe God instituted a man on earth to be revered and respected as the mouthpiece for God. I believe the Holy Spirit was left for us, through the Word of God, the Bible. And that's all we need.

Now people may say, "what's wrong with the pope? His Popeness?" Well when he comes out and makes a statement than non-Catholics aren't true "churches" I have a problem with that.

He states well that Christ founded only one church. Very true. (Matthew 16) And I have no problem with people who think that their faith is the only truly correct one. Obviously you believe your church/congregation is doing things right, or you wouldn't be there. But this is an awfully divisive thing for the spiritual leader of a religion to say.

While we ought to be unifying, and the pope says he's willing to work toward that, he says if you don't believe in him, then all bets are off.

I suppose it's all pretty much common sense, but I just can't believe he said it out loud. And documented it. Then released it.

There is nothing in the bible that indicates you need an interpreter, that you need a pope, or anything like that to worship God and be saved from your sins. Nothing. Sorry Mr. Pope.

Bishop: I really enjoy working with young people such as yourself down at our new Youtheran Center... Why don't you drop by sometime, eh?
Danny Noonan: I've often thought of entering the Priesthood.
Bishop: Oh, are you a Roman Catholic?
[Danny nods]
Bishop: Oh, then I'm sorry, but I'm afraid you can't come.

No comments: