Monday, March 20, 2006

Talk about the NCAA Tourney and UK

I survived the opening weekend of the NCAA Tournament; my brackets on the other hand, are wasted. I had a rough time in prognosticating the tournament and I am sure you did to. I am happy to say that my final four picks that I gave you last week are still in play. I still have Duke, Gonzaga, Boston College and UConn. I am feeling good about Duke and BC, but Gonzaga and UConn worry me a little.

Gonzaga was able to squeak by Indiana without a good game by All-World Adam Morrison, and you would think that would encourage me. The knock against Gonzaga was that they are a one man team and if you stop Morrison you stop the Bulldogs. That didn’t happen with Indiana, but they will not be able to do that in any other game they have ahead of them.

IU was not a very good team, but Gonzaga has to face a very good UCLA team next. Adam Morrison had his game off, he needs to show up with his 30 points a game average or the Zags will be at home watching the Final Four.

If I were Mr. Flip-Flop, I would go with UCLA in this next game, but I am sticking with the Zags and the best mustache in college basketball to move on to face a very sneaky tough Bradley Fightin’ Bradleys in the Elite Eight.

UConn is also a team in my Final Four that worries me. Did you see their opening game against Albany? I did and UConn looked lost at times. Lucky for them they were playing a team they could beat on any night in any arena, but if they try their turn it on, turn it off system of basketball against a great team, then they will fall. Fortunately for them they have the easiest road to the Final Four, so look for their opponent in the Final Four to really push them to their limits.

Until any of those scenarios come true, I am sticking with what I predicted and I am holding to my Duke and UConn final with UConn cutting down the nets. I must inform you that I have filled out eight other sets of brackets so I can substitute them freely if I feel these picks have been compromised.

Let’s talk about the University of Kentucky at this time. I was very impressed by the Wildcats, and unlike some, I predicted that the Cats had a good chance of staying close with the UConn Huskies. I, however, did not think they would be in a position to tie or even go ahead of UConn with less than three minutes remaining in the game. I was prepared for a close game, meaning a 10 to 12 point loss in a game that UK would never be in shape to win with six or seven minutes left. UK wanted something different.

At the end of the game, I’m sure Wildcat fans felt a mix of emotions. Some felt pride in the fact that the Cats did not just wilt away and crumble after UConn got up 13 points and looked like the better team by a mile. Some felt anger because the Cats had a couple of chances to tie or take the lead and they let silly turnovers and an inability to rebound missed free throws keep them from it. Some felt relief that the game and season ended because both showed UK at its best and its worst.

What’s next for UK after this solid showing against a team many have picked to win the championship this year? Can they build off this and come back next year and have a more University of Kentucky type basketball season? I’m not sure and I won’t be until the season gets under way.

There are so many rumors swirling around this team, about players not getting along, about players not listening to Coach Smith, and about players leaving. There are rumors about Coach Smith cleaning house and bringing in new assistant coaches or Coach Smith leaving UK for a job in the NBA with the Charlotte Bobcats. That’s how it goes after a season like the Wildcats had.

I feel next year’s team will do one of two things. They will use this year as a learning experience and come back next year a tougher, smarter, better team. Or they will come back next year having learned nothing and be a worse team than they were this year. I’m not sure UK, the fans or the administration, and Tubby can take one more year like this season. At least not without someone taking the fall.

No comments: