Friday, March 31, 2006

Cincinnati, here we come!

Well, just a couple more days and Bratch and I along with some friends and family will be heading to Cincinnati for that rite of spring called opening day. We have probably the best seats we have ever had thus far in our annual trip. We are lower level on the first base side right in some good foul ball territory. I may even bring the old softball glove out of retirement to catch some balls. The President of the U.S.A., George W. Bush will be there to throw out the first pitch. While I might not agree with everything he has done in office, it is still pretty cool to be at a game that the President is throwing out the first pitch.

Unfortunately I now have to worry about suitcase nukes. Well, maybe I am being a little over dramatic, but this will probably be the most high profile place I have been since 9/11 and I have to tell you, it kind of scares me a little. However, I’m sure security will be extra tough and that’s cool, because we usually try to get to the ballpark an hour or two early.

Here’s the biggest thing I am worried about. It’s not the possibility of a terrorist attack, it’s the possibility that the game could be rained out. The extended forecast for Cincinnati shows scattered thunderstorms for both Sunday and Monday. Good news, good news, those are the two days we will be there. Temperatures will supposedly be in the upper 60s to lower 70s, so it will be a huge waste if the game is rained out.

Luckily for some of us, the following day, Tuesday, is an open day and the game could easily be made up on that day. Some will not be able to stay for it because of work. Hopefully that will not be me.

So as we go off to celebrate this holiday in Cincinnati, in which schools close and many workers get the day off, I hope that Bratch can get some cool pics to post here and perhaps we can provide updates throughout the weekend. I just hope everything goes off without a hitch and more importantly, the Reds win the game.

No comments: