Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Random Thought from Sivart

Sometimes you've got nothing worth posting about, but so many random nuggets of wisdom you'd be cheating the world by not sharing them.

Early morning cell phone users. Actually, this could apply to any early morning phone user, but since I notice people on cell phones engrossed in conversation before 7:30AM I'm forced to call them out. Folks, if you call me that morning, you'd better be in a tragic accident or in need of serious medical attention. Don't call to chat. I'm not chatty at 7:30 AM. No one is. If they are, they aren't to be trusted.
Seriously, who gets in their car for a 15-20 minute drive to work and gets so bored they have to call and chat with someone? Sports radio people. Learn it, love it. But for goodness sakes, get off the phone.

Paper Clips. I have two different depositories at my desk alone for paper clips. A lady next to me has approximately 500. I would guess that any one time there are nearly one million paper clips in a typical office just being passed from place to place, from department to department, from desk to desk. I don't really have an opinion on that, I just find it remarkable.

Exercise in the morning. I woke up this morning at 5:45 for my morning run and turned my alarm off, rolled over and went back to sleep. I only dozed for about 10-15 more minutes so when I woke the second time I got up. I'm the first to admit it is VERY difficult to wake early and exercise. But without fail, when I'm done, I feel so much better all day. It's completely worth the sacrifice of 30-40 minutes more sleep to feel as good as I do now. And after last night's WKU game, I needed to feel good.

Furry Lobsters. Scientists discoverd a new ocean creature. That's not news, but the fact that this one is so odd it deserved its own genus is. The furry looking blonde lobster, named Kiwi hirsutus (I think) basically looks like a long (6 inches) white lobster with furr on the legs. Fascinating. I'm waiting for evolutionists to tell me what good that fur does in the ocean, but I'm sure they'll think of something.

Finally, Jon Stewart at the Oscars. One word, GREAT. Stewart does it right. Most in Hollywood and in entertainment in general are so one sided they rip and rip and rip on the right wing, but ignore the hilarious and idiotic things the left does. If you're going to do political humor, there's plenty of material on both sides of the aisle. And the mock political ads for Best Actress were hilarious. Most enjoyable awards show I've seen in a long, long time.

3 comments:

BRATCH said...

As far as the furry lobsters go, I'm waiting for scientists to tell me that 1) they're delicious and 2) their fur will soon be seen as being more luxurious than mink.

Travis said...

They make a lovely bisque.

Piccu said...

You must be the only one who liked Stewart because it seems that all the so called "TV critics" hated him. This was the first Oscars in a while that I didn't watch because I had only seen a handful of the movies. The Oscars keep losing viewers and I can tell you why. It's because these small independant movies that end up being nominated do not come anywhere near the small towns in America. I really wanted to see Capote but it was only in Owensboro for one week and then gone.

I also think that Hollywood needs to quit taking itself so seriously and start nominating movies that people have seen and actually nominating a comedy every now and again. I can't tell you how many times I have heard people say that The 40 Year Old Virgin should have gotten some nominations. If that had happened, perhaps you would have gotten someone to watch that ordinarily does not watch the Oscars every year.

Here is one final reason that the Oscars are losing viewers and perhaps respect. Stewart summed it up nicely. Three Six Mafia has one Oscar, Martin Scorsese has zero Oscars. And that's all I have to say about that.

This furry lobster that I have heard about A) sounds like a sexual slang term for a body part, although I do not know if it is a female or male body part and B) it sounds like something Karl Pilkington will be talking about on the best podcast in the world, The Ricky Gervais Show.