Sunday, April 08, 2007

Worshipping the Bunny.

I thought this might be a good forum for the rant session I need. I have gone to church my entire life, and admittedly, have been invested in it a differing levels and in different ways throughout the years. I recognize that Christmas is so commercialized that virtually everyone in the country uses it as a way of selfishness and self indulgence. They say that to give is better than to receive, but I think that only a small fraction feel that way. Besides, I am past the point of being bothered by those who go to church or not, and then celebrate Christmas. This may be my own desensitization. This year marks a new experience for me: the Easter commercializer. I have recognize that Easter has included candy and bunnies and baskets for years. I have no real problem with that. I have great confusion and even greater irritation for the lack of celebration of Easter as a completely non-christian holiday. For example, and probably the most irritating to me, are those who have massive Easter dinners, but can't make it to church. If it were the non-church goers then I could almost get by without being irritated. It is among those who call themselves Christians who are too busy celebrating Easter to celebrate Easter. "Sorry, can't make it to church today because I am preparing to celebrate Easter dinner." Skip church for almost any other holiday to go celebrate (memorial day weekend, 4th of July, Labor day weekend, Halloween....whatever), but to skip Easter church to celebrate Easter. Give me a break.

3 comments:

Travis said...

my merlin, I don't observe Easter as a religious holiday. Bunnies, eggs, candy, that's all me. But the religious stuff I don't celebrate. Just like Christmas. I don't observe Christmas as the birthday of our Savior.

Some people (this would include me and would make up a Teeny Tiny minority of those non-church-going Easter Celebraters) don't celebrate Easter as the day our Savior rose because there's no biblical authority to do so.

If people really want to be religious, why not observe the memorial of Christ's death, burial and resurrection on the first day of every week with the Lord's Supper. That's what the apostles and the first century church did, according the First Corinthians.

my_merlin77 said...

interesting...

Travis said...

By the way, I'm not saying there's not a ton of validity to your post. There certainly is.

I think it's an unintended consequence of so many denominations teaching the "once saved, always saved" doctrine. People honestly believe that once they've "accepted Christ" or been baptized or what have you, that they're done.

Anything they do after that just gives them heavenly brownie points.