Thursday, November 16, 2006

I've got a fever and the only cure is...a PS3.

Have you got PS3 fever? I do. Not that I want to play a PS3. No, I am a capitalist at heart and I want one to sell on eBay. There are units preordered that are selling for 2 and 3 thousand dollars. That is a pretty nice profit considering you will pay roughly $615 retail for a PS3. That is if you can get your mitts on one.

Sony had planned on shipping 1 to 4 million consoles to North America on the release date of Nov. 17. That number was slashed to 400,000 and the world is going nuts. Even at our little small town Wal-Mart had two geeks sitting in line starting yesterday morning. Our Wal-Mart has set up ten chairs for people to sit in and wait for the units to go onsale. All Wal-Marts are supposed to have 10 consoles available, ours has two 60 gig models and two 20 gig models and 6 rainchecks because Sony probably sent the others to Best Buy. Sony has claimed that they will be airlifting the rainchecked consoles to the stores every week until the rainchecks are filled. They are hoping to have 1 million available by year’s end.

I plan on looking into all this because I will probably go to my local Wal-Mart and see if there is a chance of my getting one or at least a raincheck. I did some snooping yesterday and in addition to finding out how many they had in stock and how many rainchecks they have, I found out that there is someone calling about every hour asking about this same kind of stuff. It is beginning to seem like I will not be able to just walk in and buy my golden goose. Although the last big onsale our Wal-Mart had was for the Xbox 360. The had the same set up with the chairs for people to wait in, but the last unit didn’t sell until about 5 or 6 in the morning. Perhaps these are two of the geekiest geeks in the county and I will be able to just walk in at 11:59 PM and pick up a PS3. But I am not holding my breath.

I have dollar signs in my eyes, and there will probably not be a more anticipated game console event like this for at least…3 days. I have found out that the new Nintendo Wiis are also causing a bit of frenzy and those come out on Nov. 20. I am afraid I will also have to look into that. Right now pre-orders are going for 7 and 8 hundred dollars on eBay. There go those dollar signs twinkling in my eyes again.

No comments: