Thursday, May 26, 2005

Now for something different...

So this morning I'm getting prepared to head off to work and I'm flipping through the channels on the satellite. I think I landed on the History channel and they were discussing some things about tunnel rats the Vietnam War. Well, this reminded me of a website I stumbled upon a few years ago.

Now when I say stumbled, I literally mean I just happened across it. I have no idea what caused me to land on it, but I did. It is linked in the title of this post.

Anyway, this website revolved around a certain group of soldiers in Mike and H&S Companies during the Vietnam War. I guess they were trying to get in contact with each other again and having just looked at the site, that is exactly what they've done.

Some of the guys who had made contact with whoever posted the site have written some stories and memoirs about their tours in Vietnam. And these are stories of things that movie producers dream of. The things they speak of happening to them are unreal and I'm sure quite painful to re-tell.

Having just found the site again just a few minutes ago makes we want to read them all over again. And I'm not really much of a reader, but these stories are amazing.

About a dozen stories by Mike McFerrin are particularly powerful. Like the website says, McFerrin's story called First Firefight is unreal. What's amazing about these stories is the detail that is burned into their brain that they can conjure up in an instant.

Some of the stories on this site you'll find yourself reading with your jaw on the floor.

No comments: