Friday, May 20, 2005

The Last Star Wars? That's Not Necassarily a Bad Thing.

I saw the latest episode of Star Wars on Thursday. I did not go in full Darth Vader regalia, just regular street clothes. I have to tell you, I am not so sorry that there will not be another Star Wars movie. I was fired up and excited to see the legend of how Darth Vader became Darth Vader. As the opening theme song hit the ears and the words “Star Wars” hit the screen I had goose bumps. It was a feeling that would not last the whole movie.

I have to admit that I am not the biggest Star Wars fan in the world. I do not own any costumes. I have never attended and Star Wars conventions or any sci-fi conventions. I do not own or have collected every Star Wars collectible, although I do have a few things (Darth Tater being my most cherished). I do not remember the first time I saw the Star Wars movies; I did not have a religious experience after my first screening. I just like the story, the mythos, the characters. I am a movie fan. When you are younger, the things you enjoy, the things that you love as a kid, become fond memories when you are an adult. When you come into contact with these things you flash back into your mind and tap into how those things made you feel. I did not get that with this movie.

I guess the biggest problem I had with this movie is the sub par acting. I have seen better acting in soap operas, bad soap operas. I found myself not caring for the characters. They didn’t make me feel what I believe George Lucas wanted them to make me feel. I just didn’t buy a lot of the stuff that was on the screen. It’s not like that has not been the case for episode I and II, but I was expecting more in the final episode. This was the story of the origin of Vader. I guess I expected Lucas to step up his game and give us dialogue that made us really believe in his story, his characters. I would think that Lucas would have grown as his audience has grown. I would say that most Star Wars fans are in their 30’s or older. We are not kids anymore, we have grown up. We like Sin City, we like Sideways. I am not saying that Star Wars should turn into Pulp Fiction, but I think that the story and the dialogue should become a little more mature. I will say that the film itself was beautiful and the action was exciting, but it would have been much better as a silent film.

I had my biggest problem with Hayden Christensen. I just couldn’t accept him as Vader. It may have been the wooden acting or the, what seemed like forced delivery of his lines that ruined it, but this did not seem like the Vader from the original three. I know, I know, this is his beginning; this is how he became the Vader of the original three. I just thought that he was a little too whiny to very soon become the supreme bad ass of the galaxy. Vader shows regret and remorse, sorrow. That is not the Vader I know. Maybe I am the only one who thought this; maybe I just don’t understand why Lucas made pre Vader such a whiner.

I know some of you have seen it and the hardcore fans are cussing me, but this is how I feel. I do recommend this movie for those who are fans and have followed this story throughout their lives. It puts everything together. However, if you have no background in Star Wars and are just wanting to watch an entertaining film, go see Kung Fu Hustle. I made myself like episodes I and II, even though they were sub par and I want to do the same for episode III. I just don’t think I can do it. I explained my problem with the writing, about how it seems more for kids than for a more mature audience and I realize that maybe that is the main reason I do not connect with most of these last three episodes. I have grown up and “put away childish things.” I take pride on being able to get lost in a movie whether it is bad or good, G rated or R rated. Maybe I am losing that ability, maybe the more adult, serious movies I have watched have killed the kid inside. Who knows? I know this, if a Star Wars movie can’t wake the little kid, than what will?

No comments: