Sunday, May 22, 2005

Desperate times call for Desperate measures

Tonight marks the beginning of the endings of this TV season. I have two on tonight with "The Wives" and Grey's Anatomy. I can't wait to see if Desperate Housewives will live up to its self-inflated finale build-up. I must say that this is one show I was reluctant to watch in the beginning. It was pretty great to start but has lost a lot of steam in my eyes. I realize that they haven't told everything yet, but maybe I just think I know what will happen. The advantage to this is that I will be set up for a huge surprise if it doesn't turn out how I expect it to; the disadvantage is if it is what I foresaw. I'm not going to spew propaganda about how I plan for it to end, and I would like to go on record as saying that I have absolutely no desire to be one of those people who pretends to have known the answer all through the movie/show. I HATE THAT! As if it makes you smarter to have figured any show out because a good plot can be twisted into virtually an infinite number of directions. But I digress.
Over the past couple of weeks, I have found myself discussing who my favorite house wife is. I am the only person I know in all of these little forums to pick Bree. First, it is not totally about the way she looks compared to the other wives, because she would have some stiff competition. I jsut think of all of the crazy, annoying characteristics of all of the wives, Bree is the one I could most deal with.

The second show is Grey's anatomy. I have previously commented on how watered down the show is. The medicine is faulty at best. I know there have to be advisors for the these shows, but hell I could do a better job than many of these idiots on this and my other favorite medical show, House. Nothing is perfect, and I don't watch medical shows to learn medicine or how to be a doctor. I like both of these shows for pure entertainment value; no more, no less. It is for this reason that these two shows never really let me down. It is the shows that are connected like Alias and Lost that I take the greatest issue with. I'm sure I'll have comments on those in the coming week.

The other aspect of Grey's anatomy is the similarity of my own life to the characters. I begin, as I have mentioned, my residency on July 1st. I know that it will be nothing like what they portraying. For one thing, I am going into psychiatry and they are surgeons. For another, they are just TV characters! The aspect of a gnawing fear that sits in every new resident's stomach does relate to me. I have a friend going from Lexington, Ky to Loma Linda for Surgery. He will average q4-5, which means he will spend every fourth or fifth night in the hospital for the next five years. So the aspect of all of the characters spending so much time in the hospital, can be very accurate. The thing about it that doesn't fit is that they would not all be in the hospital all it once together. They would be there a couple at a time. Letting go of all of this and their mispronouncing a few words, the show can be very entertaining. Though it will not blow me away tonight, I bet it will be entertaining and on par with the rest of episodes.

1 comment:

BRATCH said...

How can you like Bree out of all of them? I realize they are all screwed up but at least the rest of them vent somehow. It might be a crying fit every now and again but Bree just smiles bigger as her life rains down pyschological torture.

She has a fetish for guns which is one of her gigantic red flags. She has so many red flags waving that she's practically a communist state.