Friday, December 22, 2006

The Reason for the Season? Roman Pagans

It's the time of year where countless church signs will say "Jesus is the reason for the season." And while most people do celebrate Christmas as the observed birth of Christ anniversary, the truth of the matter is something quite different.

The link above helps to explain how this Christmas came about. When you study up on it you see that Christmas was more about Catholics wanting to establish a festival to rival that of the Roman pagans. Yet some people will fight you tooth and nail these days over the religious signficance.

I am in that minority that doesn't observe Christmas as a religious holiday. I choose not to for several reasons. The first being the aforementioned origin of the holiday itself.

The second is that as a Christian I realize that Christ's birth in and of itself did little for me in terms of salvation. It is His death, burial, and ressurrection that defeated death and gave me and other Christians the hope of salvation from my sins.

And three is for spite. Just kidding. Three is that I am a firm believer in the bible as the word of God. And God has no mentioning of a celebration regarding the birth of His Son. Rather, we are to observe Jesus' sacrifice with the Lord's Supper, which the apostles did on the first day of each week.

I won't bash people who observe the religious significance of Christmas. I think it's ok to think on Christ on Christmas Day, but it's foolish to do it only on Christmas Day.

No comments: