Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Strawberries and stuff...

Strawberries are in season again. I really dig strawberries. In fact, through my job I had an opportunity to talk to a manager at the local RC Cola Distributer here and asked him if I could get any Nehi Strawberry somehow.

Unfortunately, I was denied and was told that I was out of luck there. Everyone loves Nehi Peach around here, but trust me when I say that Nehi Strawberry was always the way to go.

Getting back to strawberries, the folks that grow the particular strawberries I'm talking about grow some top notch stuff. The uncut funk for like $2.50 per quart. Maybe a few quarters more if they pick them for you. They grow them in place of the tobacco crop they used to grow.

Store bought strawberries are grown to look good, not taste good. Home grown berries are sweeter than 10 pounds of store bought berries. Ever notice how store bought berries always have to have sugar put on them to get the full effect? The berries I'm talking about don't. In fact, if you are diabetic, they can kill you.

I'm still hooked on podcasting. I've listened to the Daily Source Code all day today while I was getting the sports page together. I guess the reason I'm hooked on this particular podcast is because it's pretty much all about podcasting in general. Adam Curry is basically taking podcasting to the next level. He's promoting it and is pushing it hard. He seems to be fabulously rich so it doesn't seem like he's in it for the money, but he's gotten himself a 4 hour podcast on Sirius satellite radio called Podshow. It's not going to be him on it for 4 hours, but he's going to run 4 hours of podcasts. The show would be totally different every single day.

Apparently there are people that are going nuts and buying a ton of software, hardware, mics and headphones. If I were going to put it together, I would create it with whatever I had. The only problem with all of this podcasting stuff is that you can start one for nothing, but if it actually catches on, it could bankrupt you.

Curry's Daily Source Code is downloaded like 100,000 times per day. The MP3's he posts are all at least 15 megabytes in size. Multiply that by 100,000 and that's a lot of bandwidth and a lot of storage if you archive the files. The bandwidth will kill you because server hosts will charge you transfer fees if the bandwidth gets out of control because it's hogging the bandwidth that is available for the rest of their clients. And on top of that it would be for a stupid podcast and no one has really figured out how to actually make money with them.

Other than Curry that is.

For all of you Dads & Daughters fans out there, I have stumbled upon some software that may help me clean up the tracks on the current Dads and Daughters CD without wrecking my bank account. That means a Digitally Remastered version of Song Books and Pianos could be hitting the streets soon.

1 comment:

my_merlin77 said...

keep me posted on the Dad's and daughters.