Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Audioslave is very good, but not "super."

When a rock group is labeled a “supergroup,” I have found a couple of simple truths. A “supergroup” never seems to live up to the moniker and most of the music they produce is good but not up to the caliber you might suspect. Another thing I have learned, a “supergroup” is not going to be long for this world, whether the egos become too large to keep in check or other projects come up, they usually don’t last more than a few records.

The latest “supergroup” to form is Audioslave. The remaining members of Rage Against the Machine and the lead singer of Soundgarden formed a band a couple years ago and have now come out with their second release entitled "Out of Exile." While it is a very good album, it is not a great album, as is the case with most “supergroups.” “Supergroups” rarely live up to the hype and Audioslave is no different.

Most of the songs seem to have a laid back quality to them with only a few “rockers.” I kept waiting for a pure rocker to blow me away, and besides “The Worm,” I really never got it. I did enjoy most all of the songs, but they were not hard charging or punishing like many Rage songs tended to be. The “Rage” in Audioslave seems to have abated and lead singer Chris Cornell has mellowed them out. I don’t necessarily think that is a bad thing, mostly because I believe Cornell is the best singer in rock today, but I enjoy up-tempo, heavy songs. This cd seems to be more upbeat in its attitude than their first album and both Rage and Soundgarden releases. There are songs to lovers and children. Songs that sound weird considering the members past musical catalog, but enjoyable nonetheless.

I believe that besides Cornell being the best singer in rock today, that Tim Commerford and Brad Wilk are the tightest and funkiest rhythm section in rock. You can hear and feel every note Timmy C lays down and that along with Wilk’s driving back beat is the backbone of this cd. Tom Morello is as unorthodox as usual when it comes to his leads and I was glad that he had many chances to show off his unusual soloing ability.

I know it sounds like I do not like this cd, but I do. I enjoyed it and listened to it twice and will listen to it many times over the next few months and I highly recommend it. This cd, while not a great, is certainly up to the standards set by other “supergroups” and can be enjoyed by all types of music fans, whether they know the past history of the members or whether they are new to the group. Until a “supergroup” can come out with an offering that truly lives up the title “supergroup,” Audioslave is as good as it gets.

No comments: