Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Idol Chatter and I'm Buying House

You will no doubt find that I am somewhat of a TV-holic. I spend most of my free time reading and listening to music and watching TV. In the fall my TV schedule is the shows for the new season of network TV. The network TV season is running down over these next few days, and that will take me into my summer schedule for TV. In the summer I “concentrate” on older movies I may have never seen or have heard great things about, whether from reviews or people I know. I spend most of my time on Turner Classic Movies and Fox Movie Channel. I am a geek, but better this my drug than other possibilities. I mean, I happen to live in the “crank” capital of the world.

So, I must say that there is no doubt that this year’s American Idol is the most competitive yet. Usually when they get to the final 3, it’s like Sesame Street, “One of these is not like the others…,” you get the picture. Normally I do not watch the whole song that the competitors sing. I TIVO the show and I listen to the first few notes, I then skip to the middle, and then on to the finish. I can watch an American Idol show in about 20 minutes. I listen mostly for the judges comments.

This past show was the first show that I listened to every song. I have to say that Bo Bice is a shoo-in, unless everyone thinks that way and they do not vote for him. What? Let me explain, Bo will get a record deal no matter what, he is a star, so some fans may vote for the two girls because they may need this win more than Bo. I think the girls are even, I would rather Vonzell make it to the final two, if only for no other reason that I hate country music, or “country pop” as Carrie sings. I would be willing to bet that Bo and Carrie will be the final two and Bo will go on and win the prize.

I would like to now recommend you check out the reruns this summer of a show called House on Fox. House has the same exact formula every time, but they make it work. It’s about a doctor who is a miserable, drug addicted, crippled, bastard, who has a team of young doctors and they take the medical cases that baffle everyone. Every show is the same, a patient comes in and they try to figure out what is wrong. They misdiagnose the patient’s ailment two or three times before finally realizing what is wrong in the last 10 minutes of the show. It works every time. This show has the same exact formula every time and the most frustrating characters that make you so uncomfortable you wonder why they don’t turn you off, but you get sucked in and you really buy into the whole concept. It is unexplainable, but you will love this show. The season finale is Tuesday May 24, but I recommend you not watch it and wait for the reruns or the DVD because you need a background on why these characters act the way they do and are the way they are.

1 comment:

my_merlin77 said...

House is pretty brilliant at times. I must admit that like Grey's anatomy the actual "medicine" is a bit unrealistic, the "formula" as you say does indeed work. It is one of both my wife and I's favorite shows. If you want the Dawson's Creek version then check out Grey's Anatomy.