Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Films disappearing at alarming rate, but we saved 25 this year.

The National Film Registry has picked 25 films this year to be preserved for the rest of human life on earth by the Library of Congress. The 25 picked this year brings the total preserved films to 425. As I read the attached article, I found out something that I did not know. Apparently half the movies made before 1950 and 80 to 90 percent of the films made before 1920 have disappeared. Not only that, but more are being lost each year in part because of a newly discovered “vinegar syndrome” that attacks the safety film used to preserve the films.

I was shocked when I read that. I guess I thought that all films were shoved in a closet somewhere. If the Library of Congress only takes 25 films a year then they don’t seemed too concerned about the disintegration of all these films.

Here are some of the films they are preserving for eternity: Hoop Dreams, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, The French Connection, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, and Toy Story. All fine movies, I personally recommend checking them all out. But shouldn’t we be worried about these films from the 20s, 30s and the like? Most of this year's selections are movies pre 1950, but why are we trying to save movies that I have on DVD? Haven’t I already saved them? I hope that something is being done to save more of these films.

Speaking of films, I have to tell you about my favorite Christmas present I received this year. I received it from Bratch and it was a movie poster of the film Walk the Line. It is not like most movie posters, this is more like a painting it is all red, yellow and black. Johnny Cash has his back to you with a guitar across his back and his head is turned to a profile and flames appear to be engulfing the space around him. Excellent, excellent poster. Authentic poster, it has been used but it is in great condition.

I do not think I have ever been so excited about a present I will probably only take out and look at once every few years. I am afriad that this will start me on some new nerd collecting jones and I will be buying a movie poster a week for three months. I have already been trolling the internet and that's not good news for my wallet.

No comments: